List:       nsbasic-palm
Subject:    Re: [nsbasic-palm] Alarms Problem
From:       Douglas Handy <dhandy1 () bellsouth ! net>
Date:       2003-07-29 0:41:25

Brandon,

>i'll set an alarm with that program and the alarm will randomly go
>off when i turn my unit off, but works if i leave my unit on.  Is
>this a bug in nsbasic?

No, it is a "feature" of the Palm OS alarm manager.  When the device is asleep,
it only checks for expired alarms once per minute.  Alarms in Palm OS are not
designed to be accurate.  Even when the device is awake, it is not guaranteed to
go off at the appointed time.  The alarm manager runs in a different thread, but
I believe there are operations which it will not interrupt and can wait until
triggering the alarm notification.  When the device is asleep, it only checks
once per minute, so in your case you may actually see times of up to around 90
seconds before it triggers.

This has nothting to do with NSB, and there is nothing NSB can do about it.  It
is possible to keep a device from going to sleep via NSB code, but that
obviously has battery draw issues as well.

Doug

Community email addresses:
 Post message: nsbasic-palm@yahoogroups.com
 Subscribe:  nsbasic-palm-subscribe@yahoogroups.com