List:       npaci-rocks-discussion
Subject:    Re: [Rocks-Discuss]i386 turned i686
From:       grad0574 () di ! uoa ! gr
Date:       2006-04-28 18:12:08

Αρχικό μήνυμα από  Greg Bruno <greg.bruno@gmail.com>:

Your answer for a new driver may still be right but ii is my fault i did not
clear things. With the new installation i added in every nobe new 1Gb ethenet
cards. I coud not remove the previous ones since the were on board. The compute
nobes that have a cd-rom boot from the cd and ask for an ip, from the new 1Gb
nic and ignore the onboard one since it has no cable(bring it up as failed). The
ones that did not have a cd-rom i used to pxe boot them with a floppy. This
procedure fails because the recognise the onboard nic and ignore(?) the new 1Gb
one(here it is were it can be a driver error).I don't care for having 2 ethernet
networks i just want the new 1Gd.From what i read in

 "How to take advantage of multi- NIC ports on each compute node? -- suggestions
needed
Assuming you are running Rocks 4.0 or greater.
Simply cable your nodes with the GigE port plugged in (it does not matter
which).
Cycle the power on each node. Wait about 10 minutes.
Done.

(how this works: At kickstart time, rocks reports all MAC addresses
into Frontend database (that is all
MAC addresses are discovered). The frontend will
give the preassigned address to the node to whichever MAC address asks for
DHCP. It will then
logically make this MAC address eth0).  Cycling the power will reinstall
your nodes and this will bind
them to the "new" eth0.

-P"

maybe i can install them with the old ports then cable them with the new nic
wait for 10 min and it is done
(it will configure them as etho)! will it work? I am thinking correctly?

Thank you Alex chondrogiannis