List:       npaci-rocks-discussion
Subject:    [Rocks-Discuss]Re: e1000 on Dells
From:       greg () keller ! net
Date:       2003-01-13 21:59:51

Jason,
Also be aware that the tg3.o driver has known issues
with kernel 2.4.17-* and should be updated to
2.4.18-19.7.x or higher.

If you have experienced nodes hard locking during
install or under load, this is one very likely culprit.
 Note that the new Backplane (A02) and Bios (A08)
firmware have some great tuning, if you have a chance
to update them.

Keep Smiling,
Greg W. Keller
__________________________________
Well I was able to find the problem after the system
booted and installed.
The problem was the Dell documentation listed the NIC
as the Intel 1000xt
card.  The actually card installed is the Broadcom
Tigon3.

--Jason Baurick
email: baurick@cs.unr.edu

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Mark C. Ballew wrote:

> Jason wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the process of upgrading from Rocks 2.2.1 to
Rocks 2.3.  I
> installed the head node booted it, patched it, and
ran "rocks-dist mirror
> dist" in /home/install.  After all these processes
where complete I
> dropped Rocks CD 1 in the first node, which is a
poweredge 2650.  The node
> booted as normal and then started the install
process.  Almost immediatly
> after the install process started it prompted for the
type of ethernet
> card so it could load the driver.  I selected the
intel e1000 driver from
> the list since it was the approiate one.  Then the
install stated it could
> not find /tmp/ks.cfg.
>
> For some reason insert-ethers did not detect the new
node coming up.  Just
> to make sure I verified that both apache and mySQL
where running properly.
> I also verified the switch was working and through
the switch logs that
> the compute node never sent a DHCP request.
>
> This same problem occured on every PE 2650 I tested
on.  I haven't gotten
> around to testing my PE 1550's yet.
>
> ==
>
> Jason and I discovered that if you use the
supplemental driver disk that comes with Redhat 7.3 and
do a "internal dd" and add this disk, these nodes will
install. As to if it loads a e100 or e1000, I don't
know yet.