List:       novell
Subject:    Fingerprint readers vs C32 (Thinkpad laptops)
From:       Joe Doupnik <JRD () cc ! usu ! edu>
Date:       2005-03-29 16:22:47

	I was fortunate to obtain a new IBM Thinkpad laptop with the in-built
fingerprint reader, but I ran into a small annoyance when it competed with
Client32. What I wanted was to login to Windows via the fingerprint reader
and delay NW login via C32 until I invoked it via the systray Red N.
	It turns out the fingerprint reader software replaces NWgina.dll,
or MSgina.dll if C32 is not installed, with its own VRlogon.dll. I configured
the fingerprint reader to not invoke C32, though some folks might wish the
opposite. The fingerprint software is rather clever and knows C32 is
available.
	Well, until this morning the reader always brought up C32 before
Windows came alive, and the NW login box had context and server fields
scrolled to blank values. This can be a little awkward because often the
network is not ready for comms to the world (see below).
	I received a reply to a beta incident I filed on the matter, and
amongst other things it referenced TID10054281. That doc says there are
several registry keys needing attention, but I found only one of them had
experienced the necessary changes on my machine. Manually fixing up the
other two worked magic and I now have a) straight login to Windows via the
fingerprint reader (lovely, I like it), and b) upon demand login to NW.
	The second item referenced by the incident response was to have
a look at patch 49psp2_novnpnt_2.exe, a component of the NW login popup
box. That turns out to be too old for my v4.91 C32, so I omitted it.
	If you travel a lot then you know that we must manually navigate
sundry hotel web page logins or other admin barriers before the external
world becomes available. Thus a delayed login to NW is highly desirable.
Now we have it.
	To appreciate the beauty of this situation please review the above
TID and also requistion one new IBM T-series laptop(!).
	Joe D.