List:       novell
Subject:    Re: OT: Troubleshooting Fiber Channel
From:       "Gordon Ross" <G.Ross () ccw ! gov ! uk>
Date:       2005-03-29 7:46:56

Just ditch the hub. I've got some DL380s (G1s) with Compaq 1GB/s FC HBAs and 4100 arrays, and the arrays attach directly to the DL380s.

GTG

>>> Setienne@enesco.com 28/03/2005 16:50 >>>
Hello All,

NetWare 5.1 SP7, traditional file system (no NSS), Compaq Proliant
5500, passive CPQ FC Hub, RA-4000 external array.

We have been trying to troubleshoot a failed fiber channel array.
Originally, we first started seeing media errors during backups, and
then complete volume-dismounts. Originally, we tried to just nurse it
along, trying to play it safe with an occasional vrepair. We opened a
case with HP, and they had us update firmware & drivers. Then HP
discovered that we had an out-of-date contract--whoops!

Since we have tried replacing the FC controller on the server, and RAID
controller on the RA-4000. The GBICs are still original. I can't get my
boss to pay for new ones, even though I found some cheap. There are two
GBICs in the hub, both have green lights, and one has an amber light. I
seem to remember that the amber light a good sign, the lack there of,
not so good.

I have tried replacing the cables.

If all there are is one server and one array, is the hub a neccessary
component, or should I try going directly?

Could I have created a bigger problem by simply replacing the
controllers?

Any insight or suggestions?

Thank you.

Scott Etienne