List:       novell
Subject:    NOVELL Digest - 21 Oct 2002 to 22 Oct 2002 - Special issue (#2002-437)
From:       Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV () LSV ! SYR ! EDU>
Date:       2002-10-22 14:49:02

Topics in this special issue:

  1. iFolder 2.0 and eDirectory
  2. Re.: MySql & Netware 6!
  3. MySQL for NetWare (5)

The NOVELL list is hosted by L-Soft international's LISTSERV(TM) software
at Syracuse University.  To unsubscribe, send a SIGNOFF NOVELL command
to LISTSERV@LSV.SYR.EDU.  If you have questions about the list, write
to NOVELL-REQUEST@LSV.SYR.EDU.

Date:    Tue, 22 Oct 2002 08:25:10 +0100
From:    Tim Heywood <tim@NDS8.COM>
Subject: Re: iFolder 2.0 and eDirectory

The following is a procedure that I've used a number of times for
upgrading to eDir 8.6.2;

1. PRE-UPGRADE

1.1 PRE-REQUISITIES

eDirectory has the following minimum Synchronization Compatibility
requirements:
-NetWare versions:
4.11 or 4.2    SP8a/DS 6.09
5                    SP5/DS 7.47
5                    SP5/DS 8.51
5.1                 SP2a/DS 7.47/8.78/85.23

Novell recommends at least SP9/DS 6.14 for 4.x and SP3/WSOCK4f for 5.x.

-Certificate Server 2.0
-NICI 1.5.4

Novell recommends at least Certificate Server 2.2.3 and NICI 1.5.7.The
NICI patch can be downloaded from support.novell.com. Certificate Server
2.2.3 is included in eDirectory 8.6.2 but can't be installed separately.
Reports has it that Certificate Server 2.0.3 is sufficient. The
Certificate Server only needs to be installed on the Certificate
Authority Server.

-JAVA 1.2.2.
JVM 1.2.2 can be downloaded from download.novell.com. The installation
is workstation based.
After updating the JAVA, be sure to execute STARTX.NCF to reconfigure
the GUI.

-PREEDIRF.EXE (Can be downloaded from support.novell.com/filefinder)
DSREPAIR.NLMs need to be at the following minimum version level:
DS 6.x DSREPAIR 4.72B
DS 7.x DSREPAIR 5.28B
DS 8.X/85.XX DSREPAIR 85.12B

Special Note:
These files are also in the 8.6.2 upgrade under PATCHES. You need to
copy the appropriate DSREPAIR.NLM to all your servers to preserve the
SCHEMA. If you have DSREPAIR versions lower than these versions, and run
a local repair with Rebuild Operational Schema, you will corrupt that
servers SCHEMA and possible corrupt DS.

-PREDS8A.EXE (Can be downloaded from support.novell.com/filefinder)
If on DS 7.xx apply the PREDS8A patch to the server.

-Memory
Make sure the server is not low on memory. Because of the new caching
feature implemented i eDirectory, DS may consume more memory than
earlier versions.

-JetDirect
Check your HP printers. JetDirect firmware should be at 8.04 or greater.
Refer to the following for more info,

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpj06279&locale=en_US&docId=34191

1.2 SCHEMA CHECKS

-Schema Synchronization
> From Master of [ROOT] issue the following:

SET DSTRACE=ON
SET DSTRACE=NODEBUG
SET DSTRACE=+SCHEMA
SET DSTRACE=*SSD
SET DSTRACE=*SSL
SET DSTRACE=*SSA

Switch over to DSTRACE Screen and verify the you have an ALL Processed =
Yes

-CreatorsName & ModifiersName Attributes
Check with Schema Manager if these attributes exist, they both must have
their Attribute Syntax set to Case Ignore String. If not, you need to
run a repair from PREEDIRF. The repair needs to be run with the
following parameters:

LOAD DSREPAIR -A0 -RD

-Post NetWare 5 Schema Update and Optional Schema Enhancements

> From Master of [ROOT] issue the following:
DSREPAIR -A | ADVANCED OPTIONS MENU | GLOBAL SCHEMA OPERATIONS
> From there you will select:

Post NetWare 5 Schema Enhancements
Optional Schema Enhancements

-Schema Synchronization after extension

> From Master of [ROOT] issue the following:

SET DSTRACE=ON
SET DSTRACE=NODEBUG
SET DSTRACE=+SCHEMA
SET DSTRACE=*SSD
SET DSTRACE=*SSL
SET DSTRACE=*SSA

Switch over to DSTRACE Screen and verify the you have an ALL Processed =
Yes.

-NDS Health Check
Perform an NDS Health Check as per TID 10060600. Make sure everything is
healthy.

1.3 BACKUPS!

On every server you are upgrading to eDirectory, get a backup of the
directory services and trustees:

Run DSREPAIR -RC

Copy the "DIB" files off the server. The DIB will be the following:

DS 7.x SYS:SYSTEM\DSREPAIR.DIB
DS 8.X SYS:SYSTEM\DSR_DIB\00000000.$DU (If your DIB is over 100MB on DS
8, the files will increment ie..00000001.$DU. Get all files!)

Run TRUSTBAR on every server's volume and copy the files off the server.
The file will be stored in the root of each volume, called TRUSTEES.XML.

1.4 WORKSTATION DOWNLOADS

For proper management of eDirectory 8.6.2 you will
 need to download the
following:

ConsoleOne 1.3.3
Client NICI 1.5.7 (If you have 1.5.7 on your server.)
Snapins
eDirectory 8.6.2
Novell Certificate Server 2.21

1.5 PKIDIAG

The PKIDIAG.NLM utility is designed to fix all of the SSL and SAS
objects. If a server has been renamed or moved it will rename or move
the related objects so that they conform to the correct naming and
containment schemes. If any of the required objects do not exist, it
will create them. If any of the objects don't have the necessary rights,
PKI will give those rights. If any of the objects are not linked, then
PKIDIAG will link them. If either the SSL CertificateIP or the SSL
CertificateDNS do not exist, have incorrect names, or are out of date
(or close to out of date), PKIDIAG will fix them.

Although not mandatory, running PKIDIAG on your server prior to
upgrading them to eDirectory is a good idea. It not only tests the
validity and links of your SSL objects (SSL CertificateIP and SSL
CertificateDNS), it also confirms that the HOSTS and HOSTNAME files are
in order. If PKIDIAG reports errors when run, you should verify that
your SYS:\ETC\HOSTS and SYS:\ETC\HOSTNAME files are correct. If you
still have problems then you should check the entry in DNS. If you don't
have PKIDIAG.NLM, contact a Novell Support Representative.

2. UPGRADE

Download eDirectory 8.6.2 from download.novell.com The NetWare file is
edir_862_full_nw.exe and is about 96MB.

When upgrading to eDirectory, start with the server holding the Master
of [Root]. Then work your way through the replica rings down the tree.
If installing remotely, you may wanna redirect the GUI, check out the
following tip for info on how to redirect the GUI,
http://nscsysop.hypermart.net/remotex.html

(Conditional but recommended) In the AUTOEXEC.NCF file, comment out the
lines that load NWCONFIG.NLM, virus scanners, database applications such
as Sybase* or Oracle*, backup applications, and other programs that rely
on files being continually open and volumes being mounted. During
eDirectory installation, the software must dismount volumes so that
trustee assignments can be migrated. Be aware that virus scanners and
other programs might be embedded inside other products, for example,
ZENworks, ManageWise, and BorderManager.

Restart the server and verify that the programs and applications
referred to above are not running. TIP: If you uncompress the volume you
are installing eDirectory on, the install will finish quicker. Check the
following TID for tips on speeding up the install
http://support.novell.com/servlet/tidfinder/10066708

If you have an IP-only environment, load IPXSPX.NLM. NWCONFIG.NLM looks
to Btrieve* for the product list. Btrieve subsequently requires IPX*.
IPXSPX.NLM does not reload, so you have an IP-only environment again.

At the server console, load NWCONFIG.NLM.

Select Product Options > Install a Product Not Listed.

Press F3 (F4 if you're using RCONSOLE) > enter the path to the
eDirectory files under the NW directory, for example, SYS:\NW. Follow on
screen prompts concerning license agreements, the readme file, and tips.
After files are copied, the server automatically restarts and begins to
install components for ConsoleOne and Novell Certificate Server.

Enter the administrator's login name (for example, Admin.VMP).
IMPORTANT: This window might close before you enter this information. If
it does, toggle (Alt+Esc) to the screen and enter the information.
Otherwise, the installation will not be complete.

Follow the online instructions concerning the Certificate Server, LDAP,
languages, components, and products to install.

When the installation is almost complete, you will see an error message
1,442 when the install is trying to create the W0 object. This error is
benign. The script of the installation is setup to create a W0 object,
but does not check to see if the object already exists, thus the error.
A defect is
 entered with engineering and should be resolved shortly.

When the installation is completed, you will see a message to remove all
disk's and CDs and allow you to select YES to restart the server. At
this time, restore the lines that you commented out in AUTOEXEC.NCF.
Restart the server by clicking Yes.  Repeat this procedure for each
NetWare server you want to upgrade to eDirectory 8.6 for NetWare.

Special Note: Lost Trustee Assignments on NFS Gateway Volumes.

eDirectory installation process does not upgrade trustee assignments on
NFS Gateway volumes. If you are hosting NFS Gateway volumes on a server
upgraded to eDirectory, those trustee assignments are mapped to
non-existent trustees. To delete the inaccurate trustee assignments,
complete the following steps:

On the server, load UNICON > authenticate to eDirectory.
Select Start/Stop Services > NFS Gateway Server > Del.

> From a workstation, log in to the server > delete the file
SYS:\NFSGW\SFSxxxx.DAT.
At the server, load UNICON again > authenticate to eDirectory.
Select Start/Stop Services > NFS Gateway Server.
You will need to manually create new trustee assignments for eDirectory
objects to any NFS Gateway volumes.

3. POST UPGRADE

3.1 POST UPGRADE CHECK

-NDS Health Check
Perform an NDS Health Check as per TID 10060600. Make sure everything is
healthy.

-Trustees
Verify trustees. If needed restore trustees from the files created with
TRUSTBAR in step 1.3

3.2 POST UPGRADE PATCHES
-Download eDirectory 8.6.2 SP1 from
http://support.novell.com/servlet/filefinder The NetWare file is
edir862SP1.exe and is about 12MB.
Be sure to read the readme file about SETPARM.NLM in order to speed up
the installation.

-NDS Health Check
Perform an NDS Health Check as per TID 10060600. Make sure everything is
healthy.

*************************
Tim Heywood
Scotland
(God's Country)
Novell Support Connection SYSOP
*************************
> > > maryve1@STARPOWER.NET 10/21/02 23:08 PM >>>
Trying to install IFolder 2.0 on a new server running NW 5.1 sp5, DS
8.83.
LDAP is running on same server. When I try to login to the management
website to extend the schema, the main webpage comes back and asks me to
login again.

I have found out that eDirectory 8.6.2 or later is a must for iFolder
2.0.
I also read that if I have upgrade protection than I can install it for
free. I have upgrade protection.

So now comes the stupid questions part:

Can I install eDir on a single server in the same tree? The instructions
for installing eDir begin with notes that say you must extend the schema
on
the master replica first. I have a read-write replica on the ifolder
server. I'm assuming that the instructions were written with the idea
that
someone is planning to run eDirectory on all servers. I was hoping to
run
it only on the server I'm setting up, so that I don't have to do major
work
being that I'm already past my deadline for implementing the new
iFolder.
Also, I want to keep the amount of disruption on the rest of the network
a minimum but the instructions go on to say that the support pack needs
be reinstalled and servers rebooted. I'd prefer if I only had to do this
on
the new server. Is that possible?

Another question has to do with license. On the download page, there is
license that can be downloaded, but it is an eval license. Do I need to
install a separate license for eDir, or will my already installed
NetWare
CLA license be sufficient?

Has anyone else done this? What are the steps?

Thanks,
Mary

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 22 Oct 2002 10:09:53 +0200
From:    Poul Lausen <PLA@EKJ.DK>
Subject: Re.: MySql & Netware 6!

Here is the MySQL press release:

http://www.mysql.com/press/release_2002_13.html

This is GREAT! I can now convert 2 Win2000 servers to NetWare - fast and stable.

/poul

> > > Michael Mollard <molm@CVXMCK.EDU.AU> 22-10-2002 02:12:23 >>>
Not sure if this has hit the list yet, but this is good news.

http://staging.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/10/21/021021hnnovellm
ysql.xml?Template=/storypages/printfriendly.html
Michael Mollard - Network Administrator
Clairvaux MacKillop College, Brisbane Qld Australia
(Direct)        +61 7 3347 4607
(Ph )           +61 7 3349 8977
(Fax)           +61 7 3349 5677

Erik K. Jørgensen AS, Rådgivende Ingeniører, FRI
Kronprinsessegade 20, 1306 København K.

Tlf: 3311 1414, Fax: 3393 1329

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:29:01 +0300
From:    Svetlin Petrov <SPetrov@ECS.RU.ACAD.BG>
Subject: MySQL for NetWare

Novell and MySQL Partner to Ship MySQL Database with NetWare

 - Commercially licensed version of MySQL to ship as standard
database  with NetWare - Novell customers to experience significant
savings while  developing MySQL applications without open source
license requirements -  MySQL and Novell to provide technical
support for MySQL for NetWare

PROVO, Utah and SEATTLE - Oct. 21, 2002 - Novell and MySQL AB,
developer of the world's most popular open source database, today
announced that Novell will ship a NetWare-optimized commercial
version of the MySQL(TM) database with Novell(R) NetWare(R) 6 and
subsequent releases of NetWare, providing significant savings to
Novell customers and allowing them to develop and distribute MySQL
applications without open source license requirements.

The MySQL database is a high-performance relational database
management system for Web site and business application
development and deployment.
MySQL is available under the GPL open source license, but Novell is
shipping a commercially licensed version of MySQL with NetWare,
meaning there are no user limitations and no open source
requirements on developers who wish to write and distribute
applications that use MySQL on NetWare. Under the GPL license, the
distributor of an application developed with MySQL could have to
make the application's source code open and freely available to
anyone to read, redistribute and modify. MySQL for NetWare users
can avoid any such requirements because of Novell's commercial
license agreement with MySQL.

"Novell is giving its customers the gift of freedom to create powerful
commercial applications with the MySQL database for no additional
license cost," said Marten Mickos, MySQL CEO. "This partnership
takes MySQL's dual-licensing business model to a new level and
opens up huge opportunities for MySQL, Novell and our joint
customers. Moreover, we are pleased to be able to include the highly-
acclaimed NetWare operating system as one of the many platforms
supported by the MySQL database."

NetWare is Novell's premier platform for delivering business services
across all types of networks, storage systems and client desktops.
Part of Novell Nterprise(TM) - a set of services that improve
communication, simplify and automate network management, and
allow workers to be productive regardless of location, device or
platform - NetWare integrates with existing networks as one Net,
empowering new services and maximizing current technology
investments.

"MySQL for NetWare, along with Apache, PHP and Perl, create a
strong set of development tools for NetWare customers, with a huge
benefit being they can now run thousands of applications written for
other platforms on NetWare 6 servers," said Doug Knight, vice
president of networking infrastructure products for Novell. "With more
than 4 million users, MySQL is a proven solution that can substantially
reduce the expenses associated with a large number of database
installations. Novell customers and partners will discover excellent
performance, stability and reliability, and the commercial license
means they can develop any kind of application they require with it."

Antonio Mastrolorito, Lufthansa Systems Infratec, said, "Deutsche
Lufthansa AG approached Novell some time ago suggesting that
providing Apache, MySQL and PHP on NetWare would make a lot of
sense for Novell customers. There is strong demand from companies
wishing to run these industry-leading applications on a platform that
can provide strong support while offering time-tested reliability and
performance."

Availability and Support
MySQL for NetWare 6 is now available for beta testing and will be
generally available in December for no charge. As with other
MySQL-supported platforms, a GPL version will also be available for
download on the MySQL Web site at http://www.mysql.com. MySQL
will also be included in the next release of NetWare, scheduled for
delivery in the first half of 2003. To download the public beta of
MySQL for NetWare and to learn about technical support options, visit
http://developer.novell.com/ndk/leadedge.htm.

About Novell
Novell, Inc. (Nasdaq: NOVL) is the leading provider of information
solutions delivering secure identity management, Web application
development and network infrastructure services on a variety of
computing platforms. Novell helps customers profit from the
opportunities of the information economy by eliminating boundaries to
information, delivering it securely and economically. Novell's one Net
vision enables customers to capture new business by solving complex
business challenges, simplifying systems and processes, and
leveraging emerging Web services. Novell provides worldwide
channel, developer, consulting and education programs to support its
offerings.

For more information on Novell solutions and services, contact
Novell's Customer Response Center at (888) 321-4CRC (4272) or
visit http://www.novell.com. Press can find Novell announcements and
company information at http://www.novell.com/pressroom.

About MySQL
MySQL AB develops, markets and supports the MySQL database
server, the world's most popular open source database. With an
estimated 4 million installations and 27,000 software downloads per
day, MySQL is the de facto open source database leader and is
quickly becoming the core of many high-volume, business-critical
applications. Major corporations such as Yahoo!, Lucent
Technologies, Sony Pictures Digital Entertainment, Motorola, NASA,
Silicon Graphics, HP, Xerox and Cisco rely on the ultra-fast, highly
reliable MySQL database. MySQL is available under the free
software/open source GNU General Public License (GPL) or a non-
GPL commercial license. For more information about MySQL, please
go to www.mysql.com.

###

MySQL is a registered trademark of MySQL AB in Sweden and other
countries.
MySQL is a trademark in the United States and other countries. Other
products mentioned are the trademarks of their respective
corporations.

Novell and NetWare are registered trademarks and Nterprise is a
trademark of Novell, Inc. in the United States and other countries. *All
third-party trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 22 Oct 2002 16:23:14 +0100
From:    Hegyvari Krisztian <Hegyvari.Krisztian@ARDENTS.HU>
Subject: Re: MySQL for NetWare

I would be much interested if the version of MySQL this announcement is talking about \
is the one with transactional capabilities. Without transactions this database is not \
something to write business applications on.

Date:    Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:22:09 -0500
From:    Peter Van Lone <Peter.VanLone@MBTMADISON.COM>

I was wondering that, too! Anyone know which MySQL is going to be
ported? Or all of them?

pvl

Date:    Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:36:22 +0100
From:    Tim Heywood <tim@NDS8.COM>

The key line on this is

"Commercially licensed version of MySQL to ship as standard database
with NetWare"  The port is based on 4.01 but it does not say if it is
the pro version or not.

I'lll have a dig and see what I can find out.

Tim

*************************

Date:    Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:42:40 +0100
From:    Tim Heywood <tim@NDS8.COM>

Update

1.5.4 Other Features Available From MySQL 4.0

Version 4.0 further increases the speed of MySQL Server in a number of
areas, such as bulk INSERTs, searching on packed indexes, creation of
FULLTEXT indexes, as well as COUNT(DISTINCT).
The InnoDB table handler is now offered as a feature of the standard
MySQL server, including full support for transactions and row-level
locking.

So, it's now standard in MySQL 4.0  The only differeances between 4.0
and 4.0Pro are licensebased, and the comercial version is the pro
version.

Enjoy

Tim