List:       novell
Subject:    Re: Update dll file on all clients at reboot
From:       Hans Nellissen <dbphilos () MAIL ! RZ ! UNI-DUESSELDORF ! DE>
Date:       2000-07-31 18:49:53

At 15:56 31.07.2000 +0200, Mike Glassman - Admin wrote:
>All,
>
>I need to update the NWWS2NDS.DLL on all my WS's at reboot.

Use Wininit.ini, stored in windows-startup-directory, most c:\windows

[rename]

DestinationFile=SourceFile

for example:

[rename]
c:\windows\fonts\arial.ttf=c:\windows\fonts\arial.win

c:\windows\system\advapi32.dll=c:\windows\system\advapi32.tmp

If you use:

Nul=FileName

the file will be deleted.

Wininit.ini will be interpreted by WININIT.EXE at startup.

>This file is stored and used by the Windows system (95/98) and so cannot be
>update by NAL.
>
>Anyone have any idea as to how to make this change on 900+ WS's without
>having to go to each one ?

Copy the wininit.ini within LOGIN-Script to WS an d remember that you have
done this for this MAC.

>I had thought to copy the file to the root of C, and then somehow use
>autoexec.bat to make the change before Windows starts up, but the only
>problem there is that I do not have the same autoexec.bat on all the ws's,
>so I can't copy a new one over each one.
>
>Any ideas how I can append a temporary section such as :
>
>IF EXIST C:\NWWS2NDS.DLL
>REN C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NWWS2NDS.DLL C:\WINDPWS\SYSTEM\NWWS2NDS.ORG
>COPY C:\NWWS2NDS.DLL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NWWS2NDS.DLL
>DEL C:\NWWS2NDS.DLL
>
>And then after it's done, to return the autoexec.bat back to normal ?
>
>The idea would be to backup the orig autoexec and then restore that after
>windows has been restarted and deleting the backup (this via NAL).
>
>Any ideas as to this ?
>
>Mike Glassman
>System & Security Admin
>Israeli Airports Authority
>Ben-Gurion Airport
>http://www.ben-gurion-airport.co.il
>
>Tel : 972-3-9710785
>Fax : 972-3-9710939
>Email : admin@iaa.gov.il
>
>Usage of this email address or any email address at iaa.gov.il for the
>purpose of sales pitches, SPAM or any other such unwanted garbage, is
>illegal, and any person, whether corporate or alone doing so, will be
>prosecuted to the fullest possible extent.

Hans Nellissen