List:       novell
Subject:    Re: FTP Question
From:       Roland Kool <columbo () DDS ! NL>
Date:       1999-08-12 16:34:06

Date sent:              Wed, 11 Aug 1999 15:20:21 -0400
Send reply to:          Novell LAN Interest Group <NOVELL@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
From:                   Mike Cunningham <MCUNNING@PCT.EDU>
Subject:                FTP Question
To:                     NOVELL@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

> As far as we can tell the FTP service for NW5 will allow access to
either a users home drive or a specific location.  In our
setup we want to give students access to their home drive,
another directory on an NW5 webserver for homepage
publishing, and another directory on our lab server for
accessing homework assignments.  On campus we map the
following
> H:=STUDENT\VOL2:\home\<student account>
> I:=WEBSERVER\VOL:\homepages\<student account>
> R:=LABSERVER\VOL:\classes
> and then they just go to the appropriate drive letter
for what they want. We want to give them FTp access to the
same areas so they can work from home thru their own ISP.

> Any ideas ?

An FTP server is part of NW5. It is the Unix Print Services
package. Install and configure and you are done.
You have to enable NFS namespace on the volumes for the
students to be able to store longfilenames on it.
It's tied to NDS, so you don't have to give them a separate
account.

HTH

Roland