List:       ngw
Subject:    Re: [ngw] GroupWise Instant Messenger
From:       "Peter Van Lone" <petervl () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-08-31 4:26:13

On 8/30/06, Joe Pampel <Joe@ardsley.com> wrote:
><snip good stuff>
> Finally (wish list here) getting on the SIP train would be a really good
> idea - IPT systems with unified messaging are adding presence to the voice
> system which can link to IM systems. So your buddy list not only shows if
> someone is IN, but how they are in.. on the phone, on IM, on email, etc.
> Getting GW to integrate with IPT systems and specifically UM products would
> help keep GW current.

amen! Absotively! :-) it is SIP and "share point" like portals/content
management/web work spaces that are, I think going to be "the next big
thing". And, nobody really does it well, yet ...

>Lotus and Exchange are already going there. If the two
> biggest messaging vendors push for this, there is a really good chance it's
> going to happen. And if GW can't do it, there is one more lever to try to
> replace it with. Not what anyone wants. IMHO it is critical to deflect
> charges that GW is somehow "behind".

hallelujah!

> I personally don't agree with the theory that says GW can't really innovate
> bc it will just get ripped off. That to me is defeatist. GW has to innovate
> faster - leapfrog the others. Novell is smaller, smarter and more agile. If
> they copy it, so be it. GW still gets to say "we did it first" (BMW is big
> on this). Does MSFT or IBM really want to start copying features from GW in
> a way that folks will notice?  Take chances. Be a first mover. Differentiate
> yourself. Kick their butts. Give end users the features that will drive
> migrations to GW.

good golly, miss polly!

Joe .. nail ... hit ... squarely ... on ... head

Please, Novell ... innovate, take risks, think big. Leverage the
"goodness" you have now, but don't milk it (please, please, please).

Peter