List:       ngw
Subject:    Riddle me this (SP installation)
From:       "Wayne Heyward" <wheyward () dcr ! state ! va ! us>
Date:       2000-01-28 22:21:55

This happened before, and I thought maybe it was an anomaly with the workstation.  \
Apparently not, because I'm still getting it.

To wit: Every single time I attempt to install the service pack (and this occurred \
with GW5SP2 as well) and it's going through the file-backup process, the workstation \
LOCKS UP when it is copying the files in the client\vew\mac directory.  Every time.  \
Seems to be one particular file.  The workstation locks up so tight I can't even \
close the setup app or do an orderly shutdown.  I have to turn off the machine.

It's not just in support pack installation, either.
Note that this software distribution directory is not accessed by users.  Users don't \
even have rights to this directory.  I copy the software to the user hosts from the \
GW domain server.  And the process has locked up in the same place when I do that as \
well.  It happens when I use the Software Distribution option in NWAdmin and it \
happens when I try it manually using Explorer (and there, it's happening whenther I \
user Explorer's copy or the NetWare copy.

In other words, there's something screwing up my file copies, regardless of the way \
it's copied.  What I don't understand is why this is locking up the workstation.  \
Nothing going wrong with the server, only the workstation.

Last time this was mentioned, it was suggested that I make sure all files and all \
diure3ctories have Rw flagged.  I do.

Any ideas?  And is there any harm in just getting rid of the view\mac subdirectory?  \
We don't have Macs on the network anyway.

-=><=-