List:       nfr-users
Subject:    [nfr-users] Re: NFR-5.0 remote headless with serial console?
From:       Ryan McBride <mcbride () countersiege ! com>
Date:       2000-10-14 21:09:29

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Bryan S. Blank wrote:

> Anyone doing this?  I'm looking to run my machines headless with
> serial consoles attached.  Ideally I'd have a bios that supports a
> serial console, so I can control the boot process remotely. I don't
> want a KVM solution, I want a real serial console.

Take a look at the PC weasel, at www.realweasel.com. It does MDA emulation
during initial boot, then allows you to passthrough a regular serial
console when the OS boots. It also sports a watchdog timer that'll reboot
the machine if it's hung, and you can also use it to to a hard reboot
remotely.

Works well with Linux and [Free|Net]BSD, but not OpenBSD (because
OpenBSD's serial console support needs to be fixed)

-Ryan

--
Ryan McBride - mcbride@countersiege.com
Systems Security Consultant