List:       netatalk
Subject:    Routing issue with atalkd
From:       Patrik Schindler <poc () pocnet ! net>
Date:       2000-05-31 22:53:24

Hello,

since the elder days of the original 1.4b code I saw an issue which I could not \
explain.

Take two linux-2.2.15-glibc-2.1.2 hosts. Install and run atalkd on both machines, \
which both have two network interfaces. Every machine has one connection to the \
other. This connection is a modem link (with vtun). I don't think, this is an issow, \
because I had a similar setup 2 years ago with stock 1.4b2 via pure ethernet and the \
same problems. The free network interface is connected to a Mac (OS 7.6.1/w OT 1.3 \
and stock OS 8.1 respectively). One side has also a 2nd linux-box running.

Nbplkup shows both linux machines (afpd) very fine. But one mac can't see the other.

I looked into /proc/atalk_iface and /proc/atalk_route and saw that the routes get set \
okay as expected. I also nbplkup'ed a bit and aechoed remote machines: Works \
perfectly.

Name propagation seems to be reliable only locally:

This is the view on the remote side. You see 17.124 (Mac/8.1).

             newgen TurboPS/480:LaserWriter                        5.1:132
          Apple Laserwriter NTR:LaserWriter                        5.1:131
          Apple Laserwriter NTX:LaserWriter                        5.1:129
                         shauny:AFPServer                          5.1:130
        Tektronix Phaser IIIpxi:LaserWriter                        5.1:128
                         shauny:netatalk                           5.1:4
                         shauny:Workstation                        5.1:4
                            Mc:  Power Macintosh                  17.124:251
                            Mc:Workstation                        17.124:4

This is the local view.

             newgen TurboPS/480:LaserWriter                        5.1:132
          Apple Laserwriter NTR:LaserWriter                        5.1:131
          Apple Laserwriter NTX:LaserWriter                        5.1:129
                         shauny:AFPServer                          5.1:130
        Tektronix Phaser IIIpxi:LaserWriter                        5.1:128
                         shauny:netatalk                           5.1:4
                         shauny:Workstation                        5.1:4

And this is the local view from the 2nd box.

             newgen TurboPS/480:LaserWriter                        5.1:132
          Apple Laserwriter NTR:LaserWriter                        5.1:131
          Apple Laserwriter NTX:LaserWriter                        5.1:129
                         shauny:AFPServer                          5.1:130
        Tektronix Phaser IIIpxi:LaserWriter                        5.1:128
                         shauny:netatalk                           5.1:4
                         shauny:Workstation                        5.1:4

I could verify this behaviour with trawl from the local Mac: No Mc on the other side.

Has anyone verified this behaviour befor or am I the only one which has such a "big" \
network? :-)