List:       netatalk
Subject:    Re: [Netatalk-admins] Files disappearing, can't delete, can't
From:       Shannon <shannon () handshigh ! com>
Date:       2002-08-21 17:50:51

Thank you for responding. Here are some numbers, and some more information. I think \
we figured out most of it, but there are still some perplexing things at the bottom. \
I also think some of what we are experiencing relates to Joe Maus' issue too. Below \
is an extensive diatribe of of all we tried and discovered in the process.

First, as I notice in other posts that are having some similar problems, this is a \
restored volume. I thought it was from ghost (which tries to do a binary image of the \
hard drive, I think), but in reality, this was just a straight copy of the contents \
of all the directories, including the .AppleDouble, .AppleDesktop directories and \
.AppleDB back on to the server.

The server is RedHat 7.2
Netatalk 1.5.3.1
Clients are OS X 10.1.5

Is there a primer anywhere on how Netatalk deals with directories, files, what the \
.AppleDB database is, etc? I think a low level description of how netatalk and afp \
interact could help a lot of people solve their own problems, or at least get us to \
the point where we could ask more intelligent questions. Is there anything like that?

Here is a problem that was 100% reproducible:

1) Copy file from Mac OS X to server.
2) Copy same file from Mac OS X to server.
3) Receive message "Do you want to replace."
4) Answer Yes
5) Error message: "This operation could not be completed because the file xxxx \
already exists." xxxx being the name of the file we are trying to copy. 6) The file \
disappeared from view on OS X. (I think this is related to a different problem). 7) \
The file is still there however, as it can be seen from Windows machines, or an smb \
view of the same directory.

At this point, we changed from did=last to did=cnid and recompiled. No change. We \
then trashed the .AppleDB files and restarted. The above problem went away. Not all \
problems were fixed though.

The next issue was the problem of copying directories

1) Copy a directory to the server, copies fine.
2) Try to delete same directory from server, get a message that you do not have \
permission to do this.

This was some various issues combined. I noticed that all our directories had the \
sticky bit set. I changed the sticky bit on one directory, and a number of other \
directories at the same level were fixed in terms of being able to delete the \
directory. However, not all. There were some files in some directories that were \
hidden from view on the afp side, and these were causing permissions errors as well \
when trying to delete the parent directories. It was interesting that these were text \
files that had permission of 777. That's right, for some reason the executable bit \
was set and we are not sure how that happened. I deleted these files from the Windows \
side, and that fixed it. On another directory, I had to delete the .DS_Store file on \
the server, and that seemed to allow the directory to get deleted.

Our sysop said he read something about needing sticky bits for netatalk to work, but \
he can't remember where it was. Anyone know if we need, or need to not, have sticky \
bits on directories?

The next problem fixes was as follows:

1) Copy a file with a resource fork to the server, copies fine.
2) Copy the same file to the server again in same spot, receive -50 error.
3) Delete the file on the server. Verify that it and the .AppleDouble entry get \
deleted. 4) Copy this same file into the same spot on the server. Again receive -50 \
error. So it works first time, but not subsequent times, even after a delete. Looks \
like something is keeping track of where files have been, and doesn't like what is \
going on in .AppleDouble. Tried deleting entries in the .AppleDesktop directory, but \
that seemed to have no effect.

Next, we rebuilt with did=last again and delete all .AppleDB files. Now its even \
weirder. The -50 error went away, and copying resource files works. However, random \
files appear in the afp view in some directories that are not really there. When \
copying a directory to the server, we get permissions errors again, and the files \
that show up are not the files copied. It appears that whatever afp thinks is in a \
directory is getting pointed to random other files on the server.

OK, so we rebuilt again with did=cnid and restarted again. Things seem to work much \
better now. No more -50 errors.

However, there is still one strange problem. The permissions of a directory that is \
copied to the server shows up on the server as 777, even though they are 775, or 755 \
on the OS X machine. Create a new blank directory on the server gives a permission \
off 775, which is what we want. How do permissions on copied directories get \
determined?

Thanks,

Shannon

Hands High Software, Inc.