List:       netatalk
Subject:    [Netatalk-admins] Various questions, and doc
From:       Shannon <shannon () handshigh ! com>
Date:       2002-08-21 17:51:11

I see a readme file about an mtab file in the distribution. We don't have one, and \
netatalk seems to run fine, albeit with my earlier discussed problems about restoring \
a backup. Is it important to have an mtab file?

I see did's are assigned in different ways. For example, when did=last in the config \
file, it gets incremented from whatever the last one was. This "last" number appears \
to be read from some kind of volume information file, but I can't figure out where \
this file is. Where is the "last" number actually stored?

Once a did is assigned, where is it stored? Is it in the .Parent file?

There was a post recently that implied that you cannot just copy an entire netatalk \
share to another machine and have it work because of how unix assigns node numbers or \
file numbers or something. I don't much about that, can someone explain further about \
the interaction between did's and whatever Unix does? Also, I imagine it has \
something to do with a problem I saw, where I copied a file to a directory, and the \
file got copied, but when you look at it from Appleshare, the name and icon is a \
completely different file in some other directory on the disk.

Is there a document anywhere that describes the basic architecture of netatalk. \
Essentially, what is the mtab file for, how is it used, how are did's assigned and \
used, what is in the .Parent, .AppleDouble, .AppleDesktop files and other hidden \
files, etc. This information seems to be scattered all over, which is why I think \
there are so many repeat questions about this stuff in the mailing lists.

In fact I would be happy to write this document, if there was an expert on netatalk \
that would answer my questions on it. I tried looking through the source, and its \
thin on comments and variable and function names are rather cryptic, though it looks \
fairly well organized. It would be a lot easier if someone who knew about it would \
discuss it with me. Does anyone know someone who could help me with this?

Thanks,

Shannon

Hands High Software, Inc.
for the Palm OS