List:       net-snmp-support
Subject:    [ net-snmp-Support Requests-447432 ] SNMP for Embedded LynxOS
From:       noreply () sourceforge ! net
Date:       2001-08-03 6:32:07

Support Requests item #447432, was opened at 2001-08-02 23:32
You can respond by visiting:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=212694&aid=447432&group_id=12694

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
firstly I would like to say that I am more of a
software developer mainly in Ada with some C rather
than a network engineer and I find this task is
stretching the "grey matter" in an interesting
direction.

I therefore apologise in advance if any of my comments
seem odd but this is a new area to me and I am still
finding my way.

After reading the manuals section "Extending the UCD-
SNMP agent" I think I more or less understand  the
approach described but this is targeted to an
'install' of the SNMP on top of the host OS.

The same can be said for all the other documents I
have found.

To give you some idea of the scenario;

(a) An American company generated a MIB text file
which runs to some 125 pages to manage a data modem
and used this in a windows development environment.

There are a .h and .c file of the same name but they
do not have the same style as the C files in the
.../mibs directory(they contain functions to put/get
etc).

(b) I am now to port this onto a Power PC card running
LynxOS 3.0.1 which is to manage the modem on a carrier
also fitted to the card.

(c) As a first stage I am generating a Solaris
implementation and although I generated the config.h
and compiled it with the files mostly from snmplib
directory I am at a point where I don't know what I
have but the object library generated in my
development environment(Rational Apex Duo) links with
my Ada code.

What I see is two things;

1. I need to understand if it is possible to link SNMP
C code with my Ada code and have it working.
    If so, then I also need to understand how to
perform the basic tailoring to achieve this.

While writing this email my feeling is that this
option would not be correct and I should adopt the
following approach(2). - any comment

2. Whether the SNMP needs to be always installed on
top of the host OS and if so how to do this from an
embedded (automated) perspective and to tailor it for
the environment requirements. If this approach is to
be taken then I will also need to understand how to
talk to it from my application.

Maybe I need to load the SNMP source onto a card
running LynxOS, generate the config.h and try to
install it. I could then try to see what needs to be
included when I build my kernel image (.kdi) ...

If anyone were able to provide info or references
where I can do more research then I would be most
grateful.

The source is ucd-snmp Version 4.1.2

Thanks,

Chris