List:       mythtv-users
Subject:    Re: [mythtv-users] O.T. myth-tv + gentoo + wireless LAN info
From:       Phil Thompson <phil () river-bank ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-11-28 23:20:13

On Monday 28 November 2005 10:52 pm, Chris Trown wrote:
> Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> > I've purchased at myth-tv box from magicitx.com, and not in the
> > position to run a LAN cable from the living room to the computer room
> > [aka spare bedroom].
> >
> > From what I gather from the reading, it runs gentoo. What pci and/or
> > USB wifi network card(s) will work in, as a drop in card?
>
>       None.  At least with Fedora.  I would stick with a card that has
> either Atheros or Realtek chips in 'em.  Note that I said card.  You'll
> definately be going on the edge with a USB WiFi.
>
>       If this is a standalone system, you'll be OK as far as bandwidth
> goes.  If you'll be streaming from a backend to a frontend, beware.  You
> might not get the bits you need at the speed you need 'em.

After doing some tests I've given up on wireless. I'm using HomePlug/Powerline
(http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm) adapters to distribute the LAN
over the mains and it seems to work really well.

I'm using a mixture of 14Mbps devices (for non-Myth systems) and 85Mbps
devices between my Myth backend and my (just 1 at the moment) frontend. I
reckon I'm getting about 45Mbps which is fine for streaming live TV with PIP.

Phil