List:       mysql
Subject:    Re: Suggestion
From:       Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser () bellavista ! cz>
Date:       2003-04-22 11:11:08

# gnouwens@zip.com.au / 2003-04-22 16:24:53 +1000:
> My apologies for bringing up a suggestion that apparently appears on
> this list quite often.  That being the case, doesn't it imply that it's
> a feature that a lot of people would appreciate?

    And every time someone comes up with it, there's strong resistance.
    That being the case, doesn't it imply that it's a feature that a lot
    of people would hate?

> I did try searching the archives before posting, but when you're
> searching for "Subject + Header" it returns basically all 160,000 posts
> that have been made to the list.

    Then the archive is broken. Try another one, like
    marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mysql

> Yes, setting up the mail filtering to put it into a separate folder is
> quite easy, I've already done this for my office computer.  However, my
> initial reason for suggesting this is that I am always away from work
> and have to check my e-mail on lots of different computers and mail
> setups, this makes it quite impractical to setup filters each and
> everytime I want to check e-mail.

    What prevents you from logging into your box and reading your mail
    on your box from any other one? Or, if that's not practical, burn
    your MUA's configuration file to a CD, and just load it from there.

> The reason I received from the list administrator for not implementing
> it, is that it takes up precious space in the subject heading for a
> description of the thread.  But seriously, how much space do you need?
> A subject line is supposed to be just that, a *short* description of the
> e-mail, not an indepth explanation.

    Have you ever seen a message from a thread that has crossed a few
    mailing lists which screw the Subject header?

    Or have you never seen anything like this?

    Re: [MySQL] Ant: [MySQL]: Re: Fwd: Re: Re: Re: [MySQL] real subject

    This is not so rare thing with all those b0rken MUAs out there. are
    you volunteering to pay their vendors to fix them, and force all
    users to upgrade?

> For such a high volume list, I think it makes sense to implement a
> simple [MySQL] to the subject of each e-mail.  I subscribe to around ten
> other tech based mailing lists and every one of them uses a similar
> feature. It's never seemed to cause any problems there.

    Of the 27 mailing lists I'm subscribed to, 17 munge the Subject
    header. All I gain is less space for the actual text.