List:       mutt-users
Subject:    =?utf-8?b?W1NQQU0/XQ==?= Re: add the content of another email to new message
From:       bastian-muttuser () t6l ! de
Date:       2016-08-24 12:09:13

On 24Aug16 20:38 +1000, cs@zip.com.au wrote:

> > > Why not by running a new instance of mutt?
> > >
> > > Without that, you need some kind of tool that _vim_ can invoke to access
> > > message content. How are you intending to designate that message from inside
> > > vim? [...]

Some more thoughts on this:

  - If you figure out the filename of the email, from which you want to
    get some lines, then it could be a problem if that file has
    content-transfer-encoding = base64 or quopri and not 7bit. Similar
    issue might be content-type= text/html. And not to forget encrypted
    Mail.

    So, I suggest to use mutt to read/edit email in vim, because mutt
    does some stuff to present the mail in a readable way.

  - Another solution to gather lines from other mails might be to use
    mutt and vim's registers.

    Steps would be:
    1. Postpone your mail (as described earlier)
    2. Use mutt to find your source mails. In addition, mutt does all
       the content type/encoding handling when viewing/replying them.
    3. Use named registers from vim and yank the precious content into
       them.
    4. Repeat step 3 as much as needed, either with different ragisters
       or append to one register.
    3. Open the postponed mail again and paste our registers. Tadaa ..

    (For that to work, verify that registers are saved after exiting
    vim. see :help viminfo.)

Cheers,
--
Bastian