List:       mutt-users
Subject:    Re: ad hoc mail filtering?
From:       David Champion <dgc () uchicago ! edu>
Date:       2003-09-26 20:02:01

* On 2003.09.26, in <20030926193048.GC13633@thor.cs.utexas.edu>,
*	"christopher j bottaro" <cjb@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
>       my school disallows use of procmail (for god knows what reason)
> and so all my email gets dumped to $HOME/mailbox. is there any
> good/convenient way to have mutt split up my mail into different
> mailboxes?

Probably what they disallow is running procmail out of your .forward
file. You should still be able to run it from the command line, as
"formail -s procmail <$HOME/mailbox". You might make this happen
automatically whenever mutt runs by means of a shell-script wrapper, and
also bind a key to it inside mutt so that you don't need to exit to get
new mail. In terms of your user experience, it won't be much different
from using a POP server.

> for instance, i'm on a few mailing lists. when mutt detects new
> mail in $HOME/mailbox, can it move messages from the mailing lists
> to say Mail/list1 and Mail/list2, while leaving everything else in
> $HOME/mailbox?

You probably should designate $HOME/mailbox as your dropbox, and create
another folder to be your "inbox", so that messages only need to be
processed once, and you don't need to mess around with moving messages
out of and back into $HOME/mailbox.

--
 -D.    dgc@uchicago.edu
 University of Chicago > NSIT > VDN > ENSS > ENSA > You are here