List:       mutt-dev
Subject:    Re: The future of mutt...
From:       Derek Martin <invalid () pizzashack ! org>
Date:       2013-10-06 19:15:02

On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 12:02:24PM -0700, Alexander Gattin wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 11:20:15AM -0700,
> Alexander Gattin wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 01:15:26PM -0500, Derek
> > Martin wrote:
> > > parsing /etc/resolv.conf directly can be wrong,
>
> No solution is ideal here.

I don't agree, though I may be using a different standard of "ideal"
than you are.  The patch is ideal, where the ideal which it conforms
to must be that it programmatically determines the domain of the
machine correctly in all circumstances where that is possible, and
NEVER produces a result which is invalid for that machine.  If we
factor in what is possible, this is ideal.  We can not expect code to
read the domain from the user's mind (not yet anyway)...  When it
fails, because determining the domain which the user wants to use is
impossible, the user must supply it.  That is as ideal as
configuration gets.

The existing solution fails to do this.  Even if you don't consider
the patch to be ideal, by now it must be clear that it is technically
superior and preferable to the existing solution.

-=-=-=-=-