List:       mutt-dev
Subject:    Re: The future of mutt...
From:       Alexander Gattin <xrgtn () yandex ! ru>
Date:       2013-10-06 19:02:24

On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 11:20:15AM -0700,
Alexander Gattin wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 01:15:26PM -0500, Derek
> Martin wrote:
> > parsing /etc/resolv.conf directly can be wrong,

No solution is ideal here.

You've added a lot of comments to trac ticket
3298. There's one problem, though:
> Note in particular that when DNS is in use, this
> mechanism is 100% equivalent to using
> /etc/resolv.conf to obtain the domain.

As I've shown earlier, these methods are not
equivalent when `hostname` doesn't resolve in the
"primary" domain ("primary" is the one listed
first in /etc/resolv.conf's "search" list or
"domain" name, whatever comes earlier).

Also, as you've shown, when "primary" domain is
altogether invalid, nothing will resolve in it and
your method will return different (but most
probably correct) result.

--
With best regards,
xrgtn