List:       mutt-dev
Subject:    Re: The future of mutt...
From:       Alexander Gattin <xrgtn () yandex ! ru>
Date:       2013-10-06 18:01:20

On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 01:06:35PM -0500, Derek
Martin wrote:
> Even if the patch was complete garbage, the
> point is there was never any discussion from the
> devs as to WHY. It was completely ignored for
> three and a half years.

Yes, ignoring your patch because of
technical/stylistic problems is wrong. Probably
there was another reason, like the whole concept
of gethostname() being flawed and unclear, so devs
decided they had other things to do.

> with the trivial exception of having removed the
> string.h header.  Since strchr() returns an int,

Well:
>        char *strchr(const char *s, int c);

> > MUA may choose to operate offline, so some
> > hacks around libresolv (like reading
> > /etc/resolv.conf) are OK instead of just
> > returning -1:
>
> NO, THEY ARE NOT.  If your system is not using
> DNS for local name resolution, then using anything
> in /etc/resolv.conf IS WRONG.  PERIOD.

If my system is not using DNS for local name
resolution, then I can still use
/etc/network/interfaces (or whatever) scripts to
edit /etc/resolv.conf just for mutt if so desired.

On the other hand, your patch breaks some of
setups that do use DNS.

> gethostname() is NEVER wrong; it always gives
> you the configured host name of your host.

gethostname() is wrong when you use your own
preferred `hostname` on corporate network, not the
one the corporate DNS server assigns to you.

Or when you connect via GPRS/PPP or any other
dialup?

> On hosts which frequently move between networks
> (and, I would argue, even on hosts which are
> fixed to a given network) the configured
> hostname should be UNQUALIFIED.

The example I've shown you was run on a system
with unqualified hostname.

If I remove "127.0.1.1 ux280p.ckee" record from
/etc/hosts (it's put there by Debian's installer),
then /tmp/domainname/gethostname returns nothing
at all. You'd prefer empty answer?

> The system should determine its qualified name
> via whatever host name resolution mechanism it
> is configured to use.

My system has several IP addresses and several
hostnames (depending on interface/network). Its
`hostname` never changes though.
The one in example is called ux280p.
The one I'm currently writing this email from is
called x505.

> If you want Mutt to use something OTHER than
> what the configured name resolution system gives
> you, or the system has no qualified domain name,
> you MUST configure Mutt to tell it what to use.

I could use /etc/resolv.conf just fine.

--
With best regards,
xrgtn