List:       munt
Subject:    Re: Connecting to an x window from ICA client
From:       Chris Barnes <clbarnes () usgs ! gov>
Date:       1997-03-31 12:03:46

Mike,

This is actually new with WinCenter Pro
Connect 3.0.xx product which was officially
released on March 17.  I have used this
feature that you are are referring to and what
it does is provide PC client support via client
software like the ICA diskettes, BUT it uses X.  We
tested it quite a bit and if you run this on a PC
client (NT, 95, 3.1, WFW) it is very fast, much
better performance than the ICA clients over TCP.
It also allows the PC user to fire up X
applications from a UNIX system. This is the cool
extra bonus of this new client software.  It
effectively eliminates the need for other X
emulation software like Hummingbird or PC-Xware.

If you are running direct async to connect to a
WinStation, then ICA will be more efficient and
faster.

CB