List:       munt
Subject:    Re: Looking for an Ident (RFC 931/1413) server for WinCenter
From:       "Bob Beck" <beck () cs ! ualberta ! ca>
Date:       1996-07-30 10:22:33

> >	I'm looking for an Ident server for Wincenter, one that actually
> >reports the NT user behind TCP connections. Anyone got anything like this?
> >

> What are the basics of the RFC. If you want to correlate winstations and
> TCP/IP addresses that can be picked up in the event log security event id
> 528. As for enviromen variables I have not been able to get useful ones from
> Citrix like what can be seen from winstation admin.
>
> All my comments are based on ICA winstaios and not X ports of NCD's.

	The terminal doesn't matter, it's nothing to do with X or
Citrix ICA. The basics of the RFC are that an ident server runs on
port 113. If I recieve a connection via tcp from your machine, let's
say, from your source port 1089 to my port 23, I may establish a
connection to your ident server and ask it: 1089,23

	 Which asks "What user is connecting to my port 23 from your
port 1089. Most unix machines either have these or have them
available. There are a number of implementations for PC, but they're
all geared to Win95 single user and answer the same user for
everything. What I want is something that will actually return the NT user.
It's not hard to write once you have the info about how to actually figure
out what user process is responsible for particular connections. I'd write
it if I could find out how to do that for WinFrame.

	-Bob

--------------<< "multiuser-nt@ncd.com" FOOTER MESSAGE >>-------------------