List:       munt
Subject:    SUMMARY: hosts.equiv for rcp/rsh
From:       "Brian Shamblin" <shamblin.brian () mayo ! edu>
Date:       1996-07-30 8:28:31

I wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting WinCenter to recognize the hosts.equiv file
> (located in %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.equiv) to enable
> rcp or rsh from Unix systems.  I've created the file, and tried many
> different, valid entries (including just '+').
>
> I've also tried creating .rhosts for individual users, as well as using
> the '-l' flag on rsh (i.e. rsh wincenter-NT -l username).
>
> All of the above is done with a wincenter session active.  The error
> message I get back from Unix is:
>  Permission denied: unable to validate user.

Turns out that I had used Notepad to create my hosts.equiv, I simply
did a 'save' on the file.  Not good enough!  You have to be sure to do
a 'save as', and specify "text file".  Apparently notepad saves the file,
by default, as Unicode format, which for some reason can't be used by
the remote execution code.

(side note: the first workaround was to create the hosts.equiv file on
Unix using 'vi', then copy the file to NT!).

Hostnames must be fully qualified (at least on my system), which I had
tried.  Still can't use '+'.

Thanks to all who had suggestions, including:
	Gene Dettmann <gdett2@uns-ad1.jcpenney.com>
	Jim Dyvig <jimmyd@triteal.com>
	Samuel C. Martinez <scmartin@usgs.gov>
	Dave Lemke <lemke@hemlock.ncd.com>