List:       mumps-l
Subject:    Re: Internet Middleware for M Systems
From:       Paul Perrin <pperrin () CIX ! COMPULINK ! CO ! UK>
Date:       1996-08-31 16:32:00

> using its Win-CGI interface and Open M (DTM) with Visual Basic in
> between.  It worked but it was SLOWWWW.

I don't think anyone can really expect a PC to run multiple copies of a
VB routine (one for each concurrent HTTPD request) and get
high-performance.

VB was written with the expectation of a PC per user - multiple VB
users (via httpd) on a singe PC is workable but will never be
exceptional.

> For information on performace of the various Web servers, look in:

Given that the job of a webservers is so specific (sending pages down
the line), I would expect the smallest OS to give the best performance
- really the OS just gets in the way. (I have to say that - I'm using
WFW 3.11, and WIN-HTTPD, but then a fatter OS wont make my hardware
work any faster)

> From my
> earlier experiments with Win-HTTPD, I know the M/Gateway interface at
> the M level is very much easier to work with and develop
> applications.

Can I ask which gateway method you used?

> Finally, Win-CGI will, I believe, restrict your configuration to M
> running on the same physical machine as Website

For better performance (where required) I'd be looking at using DDP to
a dedicated M machine or similar - only having a Mumps stub routine on
the webserver. (Roll on DDP-WIN!)

Regards

Paul Perrin /)/+)