List:       ms-wmtalk
Subject:    Re: Which JPEG codec for AVI?
From:       Douglas Ferguson <dferguson () PICKSAT ! COM>
Date:       2001-07-31 13:33:35

While I didn't try going QT - AVI, I did get some good quality out of
Pegasus' stuff (www.jpg.com). Your quality (obviously) is only going to be
as good as your source, so if you can get MPEG-2 versions of your footage at
4+ Mbps (full-size stuff @ 640x480 and up), you can use free stuff like
Flask to convert to an MJPEG AVI that WM Encoder 7.1 can use. I have yet to
transcode a 2-hour video to MJPEG, but my 60-70-second samples are a little
shy of 300MB (about 4.5MB/Sec, counting the 1.5Mbps uncompressed WAV track,
which leaves the video at 3MB/sec or 24Mbit/sec) which is well below the
data rate of Huffy.