List:       ms-smartcardddk
Subject:    FW: Secure PIN smart card reader
From:       Vladimir Beker <bwz () ARX ! COM>
Date:       1999-08-10 10:40:50

Hello,

Sorry for off-topic, but I thought that it is perhaps worthwhile to
introduce the solution Cylink (through its AR subsidiary) provide. .

There are two basic ways to provide the secure PIN entry:

1) Having keypad/LCD on the reader. It is less comfortable to the user,
although may be easy incorporated into the single vendor escape
   code (like the corresponding function in CT-API).

2) Cylink/AR uses reader connected between PC and keyboard, when PC's
keyboard is used for secure PIN entry. This solution therefore
 reduces the need for A Pin/pad on the reader, and also allows users to
enter any password and not limit this to a numeric entry. The
 solution was patented in 1995.
 Of course, when reader has no LCD, the important issue is integration of
secure PIN entry with application's UI, which seems to be not so
 easy.
 That's why I think it would be helpful to see the corresponding parts of
v2.0 as soon as possible.

Thanks

Vladimir Beker