List:       ms-smartcardddk
Subject:    Re: Errors at ResManager startup
From:       Doug Barlow <dbarlow () MICROSOFT ! COM>
Date:       1999-05-25 15:06:59

On Windows 98, there is no Event Logger as in Windows NT.  Hence, when
trouble occurs, the best the resource manager can do is to put up a dialog
box.

This particular message comes from an attempt to set up a shared memory file
for client/server communications.  When things are running smoothly, you'll
see a file called, %windir%\smartcrd.dat on your system.  Under normal
operations, this exists only when the Resource Manager is running.  If the
Resource Manager can't map to this file, you'll see this dialog.  We've seen
this in the past when the file gets marked "Read Only", or some other
software tries to protect system files from modification.

Doug