List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Debugging CSP on Windows XP
From:       "Kostka, Petr" <petr.kostka () ST ! COM>
Date:       2001-11-15 14:44:53

Hello,

does somebody know how to debug CSPs on Windows XP Professional (English)?
David Hubbard from Microsoft posted this on 2 Mar 2001:

> For programmers developing CSPs on the Windows XP platform, a CSPDK will
> no longer be required.  In the presence of a kernel debugger, Windows XP
will not enforce
> the signature check between the operating system and the CSP.  Upon
completion, the CSP
> (or hash) will still need to be submitted to cspsign@microsoft.com
(accompanied by any
> required export control documentation) for signature by Microsoft prior to
distribution.
> For developers who wish to continue to use a CSPDK, Microsoft will post a
Windows XP
> version of the CSPDK on the MSDN site, along with versions for previous
platforms.

What exactly means "presence of a kernel debugger"? Does it mean that the
process accessing the CSP has to be run from some kernel debugger?
(Maybe a silly question - I have no experience with kernel debuggers): And
is it even possible
to run user mode process in kernel debugger?? I am not sure with MS KD,
SoftICE for XP
does not exist yet. Or just the presence of a kernel debugger in the system
(e.g. having
Debugging tools for Windows installed) is enough?

For MS guys: when will be the CSPDK for XP (mentioned by David Hubbard)
ready?

Thanks a lot

Petr Kostka