List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Authenticating IIS users
From:       Amol Natu <amolnatu () EMIRATES ! NET ! AE>
Date:       2001-10-30 3:22:27

Hi

I need to implement a web application running on IIS which would need client
certificates to be presented for access. Thumbprints (sha1) for all allowed
users are stored in the application DB.
The structure would be as follows:
1. Users would visit an ASP page which would require them to present their
certificates.
2. The ASP script would get access to the certificate (string containing the
binary stream of the entire certificate in ASN.1
format.
3. Some Crypto API code (VB) would be invoked which would check the Issuer,
thumbprint and compare with the database to return access privileges.

I would be using a book written by Richard Bondi to help in implementation.

Could somebody give me pointers as to what part of the CryptoAPI
functionality would be required to get the thumbprint from the ASN.1 blob
and maybe the series of routines to be called.

Thanks
Amol