List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Key protection Level
From:       Dag_Legernęs <Dag.Legernes () SDS ! NO>
Date:       2000-09-27 8:56:07

Hi,

does anyone have some answers to the following:

1) Is it possible to enforce strong (i.e. password-based) protection of the
private key
when using CryptGenKey() in MS Base/Enhanced  CSP ?
I know the CRYPT_USER_PROTECTED flag causes the key protection dialog
to display, but this has security level set to Medium by default. We would
like to
bypass the UI so we can be sure that the protection level is set to high
- or at least change the default security level in the dialog box to High.

2) Is it possible to programmatically detect what security level has been
set
for a given private key - through registry inspection or otherwise?

3) Is there any way to bypass the UI in when importing PKCS#12 files?
Here, we would also like to enforce strong private key protection.
Is Microsoft using any attributes in the PKCS#12 files to set default
choices
for private key protection and/or exportability?

Best Regards,

Dag Legernęs

Posten SDS as, Norway