List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Client Certificates and WinInet - error 12044
From:       John Meier <john () FRESHTECH ! COM>
Date:       1998-01-30 23:56:21

Does anyone have an example of using WinInet and a client certificate
together to access a secure web page?

I have a client certificate into IE 4.0.  Using IE,
I can access a page that requires the client certificate.

When I use my app that calls WinInet, I get:
   12044, ERROR_INTERNET_CLIENT_AUTH_CERT_NEEDED

My best guess is that WinInet doesn't know which client certificate
to send (IE pops up a dialog and asks the user to choose).

It appears there is an option
   INTERNET_OPTION_SECURITY_SELECT_CLIENT_CERT
that might tell WinInet which client certificate to use.

Is there an example or more documentation for this?

The only thing I can find is rather vague:
     "Sets the client certification. Used by InternetSetOption. "

-john meier
 freshwater software