List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Re: Unable to view user certificates in IE 4 - PLEASE HELP
From:       John Boyer <jboyer () MAILHOST ! UWI ! COM>
Date:       1998-01-30 22:19:45

Hi Mary,

I found and reported this as a bug a few months ago, but I got no response
from Microsoft about it.  The example program for digging up the user's
signature key says to look for something with the AT_SIGNATURE attribute.
Every cert. that I've gotten from both Verisign and Thawte is marked
AT_KEYEXCHANGE, but is also usable for signatures.
I had to implement my own method of telling a user his/her available certs.
using the email address they set in the preferences of our product (this is
the same thing that Outlook Express does).
In the end, you'd have to do something like that anyway in order to handle
the case of a person having multiple signature identities (e.g. Employee
John Boyer vs. Manager John Boyer).  We suggest that for the few people who
need this type of configuration that they use distinct common names for the
certificates.

I'm not in a situation where I can try this without an hour or two of work,
but do you think it could be that AT_KEYEXCHANGE contains the AT_SIGNATURE
value such that a bitwise and with AT_SIGNATURE would yield true?  If you
try this, would you please let me know if it works?

John Boyer
Software Development Manager
UWI.Com -- The Internet Forms Company
jboyer@uwi.com