List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    newbie questions
From:       Niall Ward <niall () ITC ! ICL ! IE>
Date:       1998-01-30 14:47:02

Hi,

Sorry if these questions have been posed before,but I'm a complete newcomer
to both the mailing list and CryptoAPI.

*       Is there a FAQ somewhere?
*       Can anyone give me a non technical description of what a CSP is and does?
        (Something your Granny could understand!)
*       Is it up to vendors of hardware crypto boards to provide CSP for CryptoAPI?
*       If all CSPs have to be signed by Microsoft in the US,and as such become
        subject to ITAR regulations,does this mean all non US produced CSPs are
        weakened once re-exported from the US?Or can they be re-exported at all?
        If this is the case,does this not mean that CryptoAPI is somewhat less than
        useful to developers outside the US?

Thanks in advance

Niall