List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Re: What's the truth?
From:       Ryan Bolz <ryanbo () MICROSOFT ! COM>
Date:       1997-11-21 21:58:53

Microsoft has no interest in making our SDKs difficult to obtain. In fact,
we spend a lot of time and energy making the process as efficient as
possible. In the case of the Cryptographic Service Provider Developer's Kit
(CSPDK) however, certain factors beyond our control affect the manor in
which this kit can be distributed.

Just to be clear on Jerry's comments, the CSPDK does NOT contain DLLs that
one can get in any NT service pack. What it DOES contain are uniquely
identified system components and signing utilities which enable developers
to sign CSPs at leisure for testing purposes. As such, each kit sent is
serialized and matched to its recipient after verification of applicant
information. There is also U.S., Department of Commerce restrictions on the
CSPDK which requires us to do due diligence with each kit to ensure gov't
regulations are adhered to.

Additionally, it is possible for an applicant to inadvertently make a
mistake during the request process that could somehow render the request
ineligible based on citizenship status or not agreeing to the License
Agreement for example. There is no way for MS to confirm that each and every
applicant has entered their information correctly. If you believe that you
are in compliance with all export laws (available for review at:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/tech/export/expcont1.htm
<http://www.microsoft.com/security/tech/export/expcont1.htm> ), have met
other CSPDK requirements and have submitted your request more than three
weeks ago without receiving a kit, send me your name, company info and date
of application for the CSPDK and I will check your request.

Thanks.

Ryan Bolz
Program Manager
NT - Security