List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Re: Future Extensions ?
From:       Allan Cooper <allanc () MICROSOFT ! COM>
Date:       1997-11-21 20:21:38

CryptoAPI does support smart cards, you may find an overview and links to
more details at http://www.microsoft.com/smartcard/.

CryptoAPI is not currently using signedAndEnveloped data.  Signing first and
then enrypting is preferred so that the signature (and identity of the
signer) does not travel in the clear.