List:       mpls
Subject:    Re: [mpls] Subject: Forwarding discussion in ldp-multi-topology
From:       Quintin Zhao <quintin.zhao () huawei ! com>
Date:       2011-10-27 18:41:10

Eric£¬

We did more testing/investigating and have some inputs for the concerns and
questions you described in you last email. Either in the future version of
this LDP-MT draft or
in the future version of the MPLS MT requirement/applicability draft,
we will add more explanations and examples details for this inter-AS vpn
scenarios.

Thanks for your time!

Quintin

Eric>It's not really clear how the topology is to be set up, what the
Eric>BGP relationships are, or why anyone would think this is easier or
simpler
Eric>than the conventional inter-AS L3VPN mechanisms (or other alternatives
such
Eric>as overlays, carrier's carrier, etc.)  After all, the multi-topology
Eric>configuration affects all the intermediate nodes, while the other
mechanisms
Eric>do not.  But perhaps it's just difficult to understand the proposal
from a few slides.

The new AS configured using MPLS MT for inter-AS vpn purpose can have the
topology
specific routes including the VPN routes and IGP routes maintained within
itself and these
routes don't need to be propagated into other existing ASes. At the same
time, the BGP routes
within other ASes using default topology don't need to be propagated into
this new AS.

it is true that all the nodes within this new AS need to be configured for
this new topology
for the inter-AS vpn purpose. In the case that not all of the intermediate
routes can be upgraded to
support the MT, then the tunneling through method can help the user to do a
phasing upgrade.

Eric>Whether or not that proposal has merit, I don't think the LDP
multi-topology
Eric>draft should make unsubstantiated statements like

Eric>        "the LSP setup process can be simplified by configuring a set
of
Eric>        routers which are in different domains into a new single domain
with
Eric>        a new toplogy ID using the LDP multiple topology"

Eric> or

Eric>        "the LDP lsp set up can be done easily without the complex
inter-as
Eric>        VPN solution's option A, option B and option C."

Agree. We will rephrase this in the new version of the draft to remove the
word "simplified" and "easily"
and just state that LDP multi-topology is another way to solve the inter-AS
VPN solution. We let users to
decide which solution is more suitable for their deployment environment.