List:       mpls
Subject:    Re: [mpls] draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-iana
From:       "Carlos Pignataro (cpignata)" <cpignata () cisco ! com>
Date:       2011-10-27 16:15:12

Similar states happen for other protocols as well. For example with the
IPv6 ND Router Advertisement flags, where RFC2461 left a 6-bit Reserved
opaque field next to two bit-flags (see
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4861#section-4.2>), and then other RFCs
(RFC3775, RFC4191, RFC4389) define more bits from that Reserved.
Finally, RFC5175 rationalizes all this in an IANA Registry, and further
extends the bit-flag.

But, to Eric's point, note that here an Experimental RFC 4389 defines a
"Reserved" bit from a Std-track one. So it might not be automatically
evident that the only redefinition path is as per "standards action".

Seems like the proposed path forward good.

Thanks,

-- Carlos.
PS: Tom: you may have also missed
<http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/80/slides/mpls-16.pdf> to oppose?