List:       mozilla-ui
Subject:    NEW Toolbar Format!!!!!!  (Rather long)
From:       Jason Kersey <kerz () en ! com>
Date:       1998-04-19 4:24:17

Like Charlie Mac said before I think that all tool bars, status bar
whatever should be dockable/undockable.  Let me take this a step farther
though.

The actual tools bar could be in the fashion like office97 (not the
appearance or any of that crap) where when you change the tool windows
dimetions the buttons shift--for example

|------------------------|
|  Button  Button  Button|
|------------------------|

|------|
|Button|
|      |
|Button|
|      |
|Button|
|------|

This could have great potential.  All the bars could be done this way
including the componets bar and all could be moved around or put on a
single bar or what ever.  Example-

|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|File|Edit|View|Go|Commnicator|Help|                       |Throbber|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Back|Forward|Reload|Home|Search|Guide|Print|Security|Stop|         |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Aurora(!)|Location                                                 |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Padlock|Barthingie|Status                           |Components Bar|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

Each button or component could be moved or removed. --

|File|Go|Help|Status                             |Back|Forward|Stop|
|Aurora|Location                       |BarThingie|Padlock|Throbber|

This would give the power user complete control to get rid of stuff
(s)he dosen't want and other commands/buttons could be added like

View Info
Save
Find in Page
Open Page
Print Peview
SO many many more......

And buttons like guide could be personalized so that other sites can be
used.

If you have problems trying to hit the back button you could have three
instead of one.

You could even have a toolbar with only the trobber (just a thought i'm
not crazy, really)!

I think this would be GREAT for all users not only power users.  Many
programs do this like CuteFtp and others.

I also don't know how well this would work cross platform wise but i'm
sure someone does.

Oh man, if you could pull this kind of thing off it would be great.

--
Jason Kersey
http://www.en.com/users/kerz/