List:       mozilla-ui
Subject:    Floating Control Bar
From:       Charlie Mac <zcmm19 () etsu ! edu>
Date:       1998-04-19 1:34:44

in a way similar to the AliasWindows on a SGI IRIX system.  My idea is
for this control bar to call up all the windows you'll need.  Hopefully
this will eliminate a lot of the space the 'chrome' is taking up.  With
desktop space a precious element these days, I think this would allow
the browser to have maximum viewing area.  I would like to see the
command bar accessible by right click and that it would have options to
'stay on top' of all windows.  For those that absolutely must have
things visible at all times maybe docking toolbars could be used to make
up the control bar and if a user need them out all the time he can just
drag what needs.  Furthermore  I realize putting all of mozilla's
commands on one docking bar is going to take up space on the docking bar
and soon a scrolling issue will need to be faced.  To me the scroller
bars are becoming 'tacky' and quite clumsy.  I would like to see a 3D
Studio Maxish approach where a grabby-handy tool (as I call it) is used
to scroll.  But I don't want to see it handled like the windows start
menu.  Because that becomes a god awful mess when many things are
introduced.

I know I haven't thought of all the details and there is bound to be
some flaws but I hope the overall concept is not to far fetched for
someone to entertain.  Being the fledgling programmer that I am, I can
only dream of developing my idea at this point.

Finally I just want to say that this operation rocks.

Charlie Mac.

"Unix has been playing a chess game with the computer industry all this
time.  Just when Gates thought that Unix made a bad mistake, he finally
begins to see that they have just been positioning all their pieces for
one deadly blow.  Checkmate is imminent"