List:       mozilla-general
Subject:    Re: Crashes
From:       cmiller () ihug ! com ! au (Carlfish)
Date:       2001-05-23 2:44:01

On 23 May 2001 02:14:10 GMT, Ron Pike <ropike@worldnet.att.net>
     somehow managed to type:
>I am concerned above all about the
>stability of the browser I use. For sometime I have been attempting to
>find a browser that doesn't crash every other time I use it, and so far
>this search has been to no avail.

Versions of IE later than 5 running don't crash on me more than once a
week under NT, or slightly more frequently under Win98. I've also heard
very good reports about Opera.

>In pursuing this "grail", I've gone to several discussion forums about
>internet web browsers, and opinion seems divided as to what browser
>crashes the least. Incontestably, the problem of crashing seems to be
>people's greatest concern.

What people say on Usenet, and how people really act out in the
marketplace are two entirely different things. It's been demonstrated time
and time again that users will happily trade stability for whiz-bang
features, or even for nicer eye-candy. Sure they'll whine that Foosenblat
5.0 crashes more often than Foosenblat 4.3, but only a tiny minority will
refuse to upgrade until 5.0 is fixed.

Charles Miller