List:       mozilla-general
Subject:    Re: Anybody want to help out with one more project?
From:       "Robert O'Callahan" <roc+ () cs ! cmu ! edu>
Date:       1999-12-24 21:02:26

Brian Mathis wrote:
> I find it interesting the trend in the Linux world to reinvent
> everything.  Why not just use Mozilla as the browser, and modify it to
> suit your needs?  The ability XUL will give you to change the
> functionality and interface is unmatched.

There are already a lot of KDE applications out there, including the
Konquerer uber-file-manager, and they need a good HTML widget. This is not
just an attempt to build another browser.

The KDE people are building their own HTML widget, but porting Gecko is
probably a quicker path to a complete solution.

I suspect the KDE people won't give up easily on khtml, but that's fine.
It'll be great to have the two solutions going head to head ... and may
the best technology win!

One thing that would be really cool, if we can get there, would be to have
a fully KDE-ified port of the Mozilla infrastructure, so that XPToolkit
applications are automtically good KDE applications. Ditto for GNOME. Then
we could just write everything in XUL and live happily ever after no
matter what desktop flavour the user likes.

Rob
--
[Robert O'Callahan http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~roc 6th year CMU CS PhD student
"I have seen the burden God has laid on men. He has made everything