List:       mozilla-general
Subject:    Re: To give you an idea of QtScape code...
From:       Martin Konold <konold () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1998-04-12 12:20:21

On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, Alex wrote:

> It may be comercial, but to me, that makes no difference.  I'm not
> planning on selling Mozilla, and I hope you aren't either.  Then, take a
> look at the clean C++ code that went into converting Moz from Motif to Qt.
> I think the Qt code is much more coherent, which is worth more than the
> GPL is to me any day.

Well, you may even still sell a Qt based Mozilla for whatever sum as long
as you keep the copyright to something like BSD or GPL and do ship the
source with it.

IMHO the clean C++ qtscape code will lead to a rapid developing Mozilla
which can be more stable, faster and featureful than any competitor.
The port beeing done by those 7 programmers in only 5 days should be an
indication about the prosperful future of Mozilla.

A cleanup of the code according to sane C++ conventions will make future
improvements even faster and more reliable.

Mozilla shall have all those advantages. Qtscape and the complete KDE
suite can show anyone how fast and reliable Qt based development can be.

In order to succeed Mozilla has to be based on well thought design
criteria instead of fixing the symtoms. One of the major benefits of
opening the source of Mozilla is that the free software community does
have the capabilities to rethink the basic structure and design and to
improve the quality of the software.

A quote from the Bazaar Paper:

"I think it is not critical that the coordinator be able to originate
designs of exceptional brilliance, but it is absolutely critical that
he/she be able to recognize good design ideas from others."

Yours,
-- martin

Linus: "Microsoft makes bad programs but they have good user interfaces"
Stefan: "Even Linus can be wrong..."
Torben: "Linus is not wrong, but KDE people make VERY good user interfaces"
             *** KDE the choice of a GUI generation ***