List:       mozilla-crypto
Subject:    Re: open a socket on a https server
From:       Robert Relyea <relyea () netscape ! com>
Date:       2001-03-15 17:37:50

ged wrote:

> HI
>
> I'd like to make a https request to another web server from my web server,
> by opening a socket in PHP.
>
> I know how to do this for HTTP protocol
> (I open a socket on the remote server, and I write "GET / HTTP1.0" into the
> open socket),
>
> but I don't know for HTTPS.
>
> Can somebody help me ?

Basically you open an NSPR socket to the remote server, initialize the
socket for SSL, and write "GET /HTTP1.0" into the open NSPR socket.

Documentation on how to do this is available at
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security .

If you are writing a standalone app, you can use NSS. If you are writing
in mozilla, use PSM. Sample programs are available from cvs in mozilla
under mozilla/security/nss/cmd/tstclnt and
mozilla/security/nss/cmd/SSLsample .

bob