List:       moblin-dev
Subject:    [Moblin Dev] Ideas for Moblin Image Creator from UDS 2007 Boston
From:       john () sodarock ! com (John L !  Villalovos)
Date:       2007-10-31 11:58:12

Discussion notes from the session on Moblin Image Creator from UDS 2007
Boston

Everybody !loves Image Creator....okay maybe not
I do! <3 Image Creator

Ideas on what to do with Image Creator.
 * Recreate image creator?
 * Massive cleanup and changes?
 * Minor tweaks?

 Changes
  * initramfs code should be put into ume-config-common, if possible
  * Should we ship apt sources files?
  * Can we run it as a user and not do a sudo
  * Take a look at schroot instead of our current method chroot.
  * Projects config info should be stored into the user directory.
  * We need to put variable stuff into /var/lib/image-creator/
  * Get rid of projects and just have targets?  To do this will mean
systems must be Ubuntu systems, or at least Debian on the host.
    => could we split out the creation of the project?  Tell people to
create a place where they can run image-creator on their dist
  * Would like to get rid of --command <the_command>  just use <the_command>
  * Image creator is very fragile if something goes wrong.  It still
just blows up when apt-get fails, is the big one.
  * rootstraps are not popular with people, slows things down.
  * Investigate python-apt to do apt work
  * If user is currently running Ubuntu then can we NOT use the rootstraps.
  * The size of a minimal Ubuntu system in the target is not a concern
to people here at UDS.
  * People really, really want to be able to create a target first.
  * Option would be tell people that they must run Ubuntu.  They could
possibly use VMware or Xen or something.
  * If we do need to cross-compile should look into the Scratchbox
project which uses an emulator (qemu) to compile.
  * Qemu images is a possibilty for OSes other than Ubuntu and different
hardware platforms from X86.
  * Idea to have a "Add/remove packages" button, and then execute
Synaptic Package Manger (or equivalent)
  * Have a logging to a file feature.

 Major changes we should do:
  * Add ability to create target directly (might be Ubuntu host only)
  * Remove rootstraps (might be Ubuntu host only)
  * Move projects / targets out of /usr/share to /var/lib