List:       mjpeg-users
Subject:    Re: [Mjpeg-users] zoran overlay no longer working
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2007-04-17 12:24:32

On Tuesday 17 April 2007, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently upgraded from Suse Linux 10.0 to openSuse 10.2, and while my
> DC10+ adapter was working fine before, it no longer does. I am using
> xawtv in overlay mode. With openSuse 10.2, in full-size resolution
> (768x576) the image is completely black. If I scale it down, the image
> comes back. The limit seems to be around 576x432. At 640x480 I get a
> jerky image, like only every other frame is displayed.
>
> I already tried:
> * Changing the kernel. It didn't help. I had the same (self-compiled)
> kernel failing under openSuse 10.2 and working under Suse Linux 10.0.
> * Changing xawtv. It didn't help either. The old xawtv doesn't work
> better on the new system, and the new xawtv works OK on the old system.
> * Changing my ATI graphics adapter for an older nVidia model. No change.
>
> So at this point I am inclined to think that the culprit is X itself.
> Suse Linux 10.0 was using X.org 6.9 if I remember correctly, openSuse
> 10.2 has X.org 7.2. That's a big change. But OTOH I don't feel
> comfortable downgrading X, and I don't even know if it would really
> help.
>
> Does this problem ring a bell to anyone? Was this reported before? Any
> hint at what I could try next?
>
> Thanks,

Jean, this may be totally unrelated, but I recently read something about the
different way 2.6.20 kernels use modules causing some problems with
older-type pci boards.  I don't remember the details, but I do remember
thinking an 'ouch' and wondering if it would affect my DV10+.  It sounded as
though it would.

If you haven't tried it already, could you install a 2.6.19 kernel and see if
that cures the problem?

Anne