List:       mjpeg-users
Subject:    Re: [Mjpeg-users] Mixing old and new recordings
From:       "Steven M. Schultz" <sms () 2BSD ! COM>
Date:       2007-03-31 21:56:00

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > 	http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/
> >
> > 	Not very expensive and it runs under WINE

> It does look interesting.  Since I'm dealing with old Hi8 tape and an analo
> gue=20
> recorder, I still have to capture with the DC10+.  Do these editing suites

	Are you sure you're looking at the same thing I hoped I was pointing
	you to?  DVD-Lab is an authoring program.  It is NOT a capture program,
	it is not a editing program.

	You do all the encoding in advance and present Dvd-Lab with the
	MPEG-2 video files and accompanying audio (.AC3, or .MP2).

> start from .avi files?  The linux ones I've seen are generally aimed at
> starting from digital video.

	"all in one" programs, in my opinion, tend to be "jack of all trades
	and master of none" - doing many things half well rather than using
	better independent programs.

	DVD-Lab (and DVD Studio Pro from Apple, and Premiere from Adobe for
	windows) are DVD authoring *only* programs - they do not do capture,
	encode, edit - there are other programs to do that.

	One of my brothers, alas in the windows world, started out trying to
	use one of those 'all in one' packages - didn't work well.  Tried
	a free package - that was a flop, and then bought DVD-Lab and has
	been happy (at least I don't hear coasters flying overhead  now ;))

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz