List:       mingw-users
Subject:    Re: [Mingw-users] Cross Platform Scripting Tip
From:       Tomi Ollila <tomi.ollila () nixu ! com>
Date:       2011-01-30 15:34:40

On Sat 29 Jan 2011 21:28, Michael Sanders <bluelamp100@gmail.com> writes:

> According to MSDN, under Windows, the environmental variable named 'OS'
> has been available since 1995. With that info in hand, here a quick snippet
> (and there are likely other ways as well) I wanted to share with everyone:
>

> [ ${OS:0:3} == "Win" ] && win.cmd || nix.cmd

this will execute both win.cmd AND nix.cmd if win.cmd exits nonzero
therefore

[ x"${OS:0:3}" = x"Win" ] && { win.cmd; true; } || nix.cmd

(I just fixed something else having the same construct)

(Note the other changes (to make it bourne shell compatible)).

> The boolean construct above will:
>
> - branch true ('win.cmd') when running under Windows
>
> - branch false ('nix.cmd') when not
>

> Here's a usage example:
>

> [ ${OS:0:3} == "Win" ] && cls || clear

I'd use

case $OS in Win*) cls ;; *) clear ;; esac

> Hope it proves useful.

Yes it is, thanks for the tip.

> --
> later on,
> Mike

Tomi

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may \
cause your account to be moderated.