List:       midgard-user
Subject:    Re: [midgard] BLOB (file) serving
From:       E.Heyns () uci ! kun ! nl
Date:       1999-11-27 11:25:26

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> It isn't as bad as that. At least ODBC and most of the native database
> interfaces have means for streaming the BLOB fields. The BLOB contents
> are returned in a sequence of fixed-lenght packets to the database
> client. I've thought about a separate blob table for Midgard 2.0 that
> would be accessed using special streaming functions. Such blob contents
> could be served directly by a simple content handler in mod_midgard.
>
> The only problem with this is that then normal MySQL client API doesn't
> support streaming the BLOB contents. In fact the communication buffers
> used by MySQL are limited in size so although they the size is
> configurable, you could run into troubles with large files. I'm not sure
> if or how MyODBC handles this.

I've looked for streaming functionality but couldn't find anything for
it either in MyODBC or MySQL. Shame.

> Yep. The packaging is difficult enough with only a single data source.
> Adding external files is possible but potentially erroneous.

A way around this would be to serve from the FS, but store the blobs
in the DB in a BLOB table just before packaging, and doing the reverse
for unpackaging. This table would not have a role (or not even exist?)
in an active midgard server.

Anyway, I'll let this rest for the moment until both the ODBC and the
packaging are in beta. Enough to do in the time between.

Bye,
Emile